The News

Purpose

The purpose in writing these alternative texts is to examine the extent to which the message in any original news article is arbitrary and able to be reinterpreted to convey meanings which are potentially inimical to the original message.

Pages

FIFTH ALTERNATIVE

LETTERS

Your article (‘Private eyes catch welfare freeloaders’, 6/4/10), presents a biased view of the people in the Department of Human Services and in Centrelink whom you have called ‘welfare cheats’ and ‘rorters’. In fact I am one the people helped by the Department and by Centrelink. As a 62-year old on a disability pension, I have had my welfare category reviewed and upgraded. I have been promised a greater level of care. I will no longer need to justify trying to overcome loneliness, trying to shelter a companion in the house. Rather, I have been offered shared and serviced accommodation, at least in the short term. I have an 82-year old friend who has received a similarly welcome offer. Like the newly-arrived boat people, we older Australians can only be grateful for the auspices of a caring society in our great brown land.

Beryl Dreer.

1 comment: